Thursday, June 16, 2016

Today, I met a war hero from World War II and the Korean War


We’re in Singer Island, Florida right now. We sold our house, but our new house won’t be finished and ready until mid-September. We took everything we needed, including Scarlett the cat, and flew from SFO to FLL. It’s truly a different world.

My mom, who lives a few miles away in West Palm Beach, FL, had surgery yesterday to remove a tumor. Her three sons and two daughters-in-law were all with her, and we took her home last night. She’s doing well.

But, that’s not what this post is about.

Mom called this morning and asked if I could bring her a quart of milk, so dutiful son that I pretend to be, I arrived at her door holding the bottle. We spoke for a few minutes. She asked if I’d be willing to meet her neighbor, and I told her, “Sure.”

Her next door neighbor, Murray Young, is probably as old as my mom, probably at least 90 years old. But he appears to be in his late sixties or early seventies. Murray showed me his mementoes from World War II and the Korean War.

Turns out, the man earned eleven medals from those two conflicts. He was a gunny; tail gunner from a fighter-bomber. His aircraft carrier, the USS Boxer, had an explosion that killed a lot of sailors and some pilots on board, and Murray survived that, as well as numerous missions during the two wars.

Murray Young is a true war hero. I’m so glad I met him. It was an honor. Oh, and he read Bloodridge, Book 1 of DS Kane’s Spies Lie series. I’m happy to know another reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment